January 28, 2011

Pizza Casserole


I don't know if this recipe is exactly "blog worthy," but it's one of the best ideas I've had in a while; it's also great way to re-purpose leftovers. What I'm talking about is Pizza Casserole. It's not really a recipe, but more of a method.

The first thing you need is leftovers.  I like leftovers just fine, but after two or three days of eating them the same old way, I'm much less interested.  This makes them new again, sort of.  Something with a grain works best for this recipe such as vegetables/lentils in rice or black beans and millet, which is what I used this time. You could even mix together some leftover grains and veggies or beans, and then use that.

Next you need pasta sauce, cheese, and maybe some nutritional yeast.  Grab an oven safe bowl (I love these glass pyrex "tupperwares") and scoop in a portion of your leftovers.  Add sauce and nutritional yeast, if you're using it.  Mix well and then microwave the mixture until it's heated through.  Then, sprinkle cheese on top and pop it under the broiler (I did it in the toaster oven) until the top is brown and bubbly. Still with me? That's it (but be careful b/c it's super hot when it comes out of the oven... obviously).

Maybe this doesn't sound appealing to other people, but I loved it (and so did my sister!).  It tastes a lot like pizza, which means it's a crowd pleaser, but it's also pretty healthy too.  And who doesn't need another creative way to use up leftovers?

Pizza Casserole
Inspired by Peas and Thank You's Pizza Quinoa Casserole

Ingredients
leftovers (something with a grain works best)
oven safe dish
pasta sauce (I like Rao's Marinara $$$ or Newman's Own Sookarooni $)
nutritional yeast (optional)
mozzarella cheese (I used part-skim shredded)

Preparation
Scoop a portion of your leftovers  into your oven safe dish.  Add desired amount of pasta sauce and nutritional yeast, if using.  Mix together and microwave until heated through, about 45 seconds.  Mix again, smooth it out and sprinkle cheese over the top.  Place under the broiler (the toaster oven's broiler works well) until the cheese is browned and bubbly.  Give yourself a pat on the back.

No comments: