January 13, 2011

Crystallized Ginger Granola



One thing I make all the time, but have neglected to post about is granola.  I know I've posted a recipe or two in the past, but that was before I had my own formula down.  It's not that I want to deprive you, but making granola has become such a habit for me over the past year or so that I rarely measure out my ingredeints or think to take pictures.
I like to make small batches (about 3 cups or so) every 3-4 weeks so I can play around with different flavor combinations.  I've made chocolate granola, buckwheat granola, spiced granola, and almost everything in between.  All this experimentation has led me to realize that when it comes to granola, I prefer simplicity.  Tons of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit make it more of an energy dense trail mix than a topping for yogurt or oatmeal.  I'm also not always in the mood for a particular flavor so a lot of times I'll do a plain or subtly coconut-y granola.

I decided to measure out my ingredeints and write up a recipe this time because this granola is definitely one of my favorites.  I usually find that store bought versions are either too expensive or too sugary to buy on a regular basis, especially since making your own is so quick and easy.  See for yourself:

Crystallized Ginger Granola
Ingredients

1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup oat bran (optional, you could just add another 1/4 cup oats)
1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger
1/3 cup whole raw almonds, chopped
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut
2 teaspoons raw sesame seeds
2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce, or any fruit puree
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
pinch sea salt

Preparation

Preheat your oven to 325F. Mix the first 6 ingredeints together in a large bowl. In a small bowl mix the coconut oil, maple syrup, applesauce, vanilla and sea salt. Stir to combine.

Pour the wet mixture into the dry until the dry mixture is well coated. Pour onto a baking sheet (lined or unlined) and bake for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10-15 to prevent burning. The granola is done when it's golden brown and fragrant.

No comments: