January 18, 2009

My Own Moroccan Chicken

The flavors I used in this dish were inspired from a Moroccan lamb stew I made a couple months ago. I don't love lamb and the stew took at least a few hours to prepare but the sauce was amazing so I wanted to make something with similar flavors that was quick and easy.

This chicken is smoky, sweet and mildly spicy. It tastes rich but instead is rather healthful. I love using a dried fruit in the sauce because it soaks up some of the liquid and fills with juices. I think chopped dried apricots would also work really well here. Additionally I think chickpeas and rice pilaf would be a nice complement to the dish as a whole.

Moroccan Chicken
Ingredients

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
2- 3 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp hot hungarian paprika
1- 2 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2- 3 fresh tomatoes, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
3 dates, chopped

chicken broth as needed

Preparation
Mix all spices together in a small bowl. Dice onion, tomatoes and dates and set aside. Lay chicken breasts on a plate, coat both sides of each breast with olive oil, rub spices on both sides until covered. Add about 1 tbsp olive oil and diced onions to a large skillet over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, place chicken breasts into the skillet. Sear on each side for 4- 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and dates, turn heat down to medium and cook until chicken is cooked through. If there is not enough liquid in the pan add chicken broth as needed (I probably used about 1/4 cup).

No comments: