November 10, 2008

Deliciously Warm Sandwich(es)

I can't really take much credit for this because I got the idea for the sweet half (caramelized onions, brie, apple butter) from my roommate Pamela when she was telling me about a similar omelette she made and I got the idea for the salty half (caramelized onions, swiss, pickles, dijon mustard) from this post.  So needless to say I was feeling indecisive (as per usual) about two very similar yet quite different lunch options and decided to make them both as halves of one sandwich. 

And they were SO GOOD.  A little bit difficult to eat, with onions and melted cheese squeezing out of the sides with each bite and of course there were some things I would have done differently: I didn't time the toasting of the bread very well so it was a little on the hard side after sitting for a bit waiting for the onions to finish caramelizing, I would have made the pieces of onion bigger (I cut the onion in half widthwise before slicing it), I would have remembered which side of the sandwich and was sweet and which was salty so I didn't have to turn one piece of bread upside down so as not to mix the spreads... but it didn't matter because it was still delicious.  Just right for a cold day or my cold house everyday.

I had a bite of each half first to try them but then I ate all of the salty half because I always like to have something sweet to finish off a meal.  I don't think either half was better but I may be partial to the sweet side because it had a mix of sweet (apple butter) and salty (brie, onions).

Caramelized Onion and Cheese Sandwich
Ingredients

1/2 yellow onion, sliced
1/2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp olive oil

Sweet Half:
sliced brie
apple butter

Salty Half:
sliced swiss cheese (or gruyere)
sandwich slice pickle
dijon mustard

Preparation
Add olive oil to a pan on high heat. Once the oil is hot, add onion slices and brown sugar and turn heat down to medium. When the onions are almost done caramelizing put the bread in the toaster oven. When partially toasted place swiss cheese and brie on opposite sides of the same piece of bread. Continue toasting till cheese is melty. Spread apple butter and dijon on opposite sides of non-cheesed toast.  Place pickle on top of mustard. Pour caramelized onions on top of cheese, put toast slices together and cut. 

No comments: