October 21, 2008

Healthy Chicken Salad


The concept of mayonnaise has always grossed me out, but I find chicken salad rather pleasant, except when I think about the whole mayonnaise issue. Vegetable oil and egg yolks (sorry to ruin it for you) just sounds so unappetizing. So I tried to think of some kind of substitute that would still taste good and maybe even be healthier and I came up with plain greek yogurt mixed with salad dressing or spices. I guess that sounds sort of gross too?

Anyway, the first time I tried this I made a curried chicken salad with mangoes loosely based off this recipe from Gourmet. Instead of red onions I used scallions, didn't add the mayo or ginger, and used raisins instead of grapes. This time I decided to try making a non-curried version, which I didn't base off a particular recipe. The measurements given are estimated because I didn't measure anything when I made it so you could add more or less of anything on here. The most important thing I think is finding a balance between the yogurt and dressing and putting in just enough to coat everything so it is not dry or watery.

This tastes great on toasted sandwich bread with some romaine lettuce, in a wrap or just plain as a side.

Chicken Salad*
Ingredients
3/4 cup poached chicken shredded or cubed
1/8 cup dried cherries
1/8 cup toasted almonds, sliced
1- 2 tablespoons poppyseed salad dressing
1- 2 stalks for celery, chopped
1/8 cup diced bread and butter pickles
enough 2% greek yogurt to coat
salt and pepper to taste

Preparation
This is pretty self explanatory but... poach chicken, chop/ slice all ingredients, combine in medium bowl, coat with dressing, coat with yogurt, add salt and pepper.

*This recipe is also really flexible so you can pretty much add whatever you like. I always like a mix of sweet and salty with different textures to make it interesting. I try to always have a fresh fruit, a dried fruit, nuts, something crunchy, and something salty.

No comments: