December 2, 2010

Better Than Butter

Not many things deserve this title, but mascrapone cheese just might.  Mascrapone is an Italian (triple) cream cheese that's a common ingredient in Tiramisu.  Ever since my birthday and, more specifically, my birthday cake, it's had a special place in my heart.  Unfortunately (but perhaps fortunately for my figure), I didn't have any left over after making the frosting for my cake; I also didn't have a reason to buy another 8oz container.  Thanksgiving is a reason, though.

So, for Thanksgiving, I whipped up some more mascrapone whipped cream to go with the Pumpkin Pie and Gingerbread Upside-Down Cake.  This time I used fresh vanilla bean, though I think it was better with vanilla extract.  Since we didn't need that much whipped cream on Thanksgiving, I've been left with more than half a container of pure mascrapone-y deliciousness to spread and dollop on top of whatever I can get my hands on (it's not doing anything good for my post-Thanksgiving bloat, by the way).

While it was pretty good on oatmeal, I think my favorite way to consume it thus far is in lieu of butter on a toasted whole wheat cinnamon raisin English muffin (I bought some at Trader Joe's this weekend).  However, the side of the container has advised me to "swirl it into Alfredo sauce, risotto, pasta, or use as a fruit topping" and now all I can think about is rich, creamy mascrapone cheese swirled into mushroom risotto.  It's only a matter of time.