November 22, 2010

Apple Compote

When I saw fresh local apples for 99 cents a pound, I had to buy some.  I decided to make apple compote because not only does it remind me of apple pie filling, but it also reminds me of baked apples.  And no, not the baked apples you core, stuff, and bake in the oven (those are good too though), but the ones from Stouffer's or Boston Market that are served warm, blanketed in a rich cinnamon flecked sauce.  Does anyone else have fond memories of those, or is that just me? Anyone?  I also used to love Stouffer's Swedish Meatballs, but I suppose that's a discussion for another time.

Prior bad eating habits aside, this compote is truly addicting.  I finished a jar within two days! Luckily, it's much better for you than the Stouffer's or Boston Market variety.  Oh, and if you're thinking "what could I possibly do with two or three jars of apple compote?"  Well, I'll tell you:
  • You could make a sandwich with toasted cinnamon raisin bread, almond butter, and apple compote (I haven't done this or anything...).  
  • You could use it as a topping for oatmeal, Greek yogurt, or ice cream.
  • You could use it as a condiment for roast pork.
  • You could also eat it out of the jar, that's allowed.
As you can see, there is really no shortage of ways to put this apple compote to use.  I even stuck some in the freezer because I imagine it'll be pretty tasty on Thanksgiving turkey, stuffing, and... roasted brussel sprouts.  Maybe that last one's a little bit of a stretch, but you get the idea.

Apple Compote
Adapted from Martha Stewart

Ingredients
3 lbs apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
~ 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 pat good quality salted butter (optional, but suggested)

Preapartion
Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Cover, and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender, about 30 minutes. Let cool completely. Apple compote can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 1 week.

No comments: