October 6, 2010

20 Minute Oatmeal Scones

Normally, I'm not a big fan of scones because normally, scones aren't good. I've had many that taste like a stale biscuit or a poor excuse for a cookie; they're dry and crumbly, and all around unappealing. For this reason, I've never made scones, but their homey, rustic, and adaptable nature has always appealed to me (not to mention I do love treats that pair well with tea or coffee).

I was on my way back from yoga today, thinking about what I wanted for breakfast (of course) and I remembered these 15 Minute Oatmeal Scones I read about a day or so ago.  I love the flavor of oatmeal, and while I'm usually too ravenous in the morning to whip up anything out of the ordinary for breakfast, this recipe said they'd only take 15 minutes (but more realistically, I'd say they take 20).

And that was that, I was making scones.  Right when I walked in the door, I preheated the oven and in 20 minutes I was enjoying a warm scone, fresh out of the oven.  The simplicity of this recipe allowed the more subtle flavors of the butter and the oatmeal to come through in a great way.  Topped with almond butter and apricot jam, alongside some greek yogurt and fruit, it was a pretty perfect breakfast. 


20 Minute Oatmeal Scones
Adapted from Eat Live Run (head over to Jenna's blog for more in process shots)
Makes 6 small or 4 large scones

Ingredients
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup milk [I didn't have whole so I used a scant 1/2 cup skim plus about a tablespoon of cream]

Preparation
Preheat your oven to 475 F.  Mix together the oats, flour, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl. Cut in the butter and work with your fingers until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Pour in the milk and mix until just combined.

Pour the mixture onto your lined baking sheet and lightly shape into a circle.  Bake for 13- 15 minutes or until golden. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with u on scones tasting like stale biscuits over time. But when they are fresh out of the oven, they are heavenly!

Julia said...

Do you think you can do a gluten free version with standard gluten free flour? Thinking of making some for the gluten-free roommate...yum!

Lynna said...

Julia,
I don't have any experience using gluten-free flour mixes so I'm not sure if they would work or not.

I have heard a common problem with gluten-free baked goods is a crumbly texture and lack of adhesion (word?). Some people use small amounts of xantham and/or guar gum to compensate (Bob's Red Mill sells them). Also, maybe you would want to bake the scones in a brownie pan to prevent them from spreading out too much. Annnnd make sure your oats don't have traces of gluten (depnending on how sensitive your roommate is!).

Let me know if you end up trying it! Goooood Luck! (miss you*)