July 25, 2010

Good Rugelach, Better Pictures

A few of you may remember something I posted awhile ago, all the way back in December but, if you don't, and I can't really blame you, let me refresh your memory:

I made some Rugelach, the taste of which made me slightly nostalgic for New York.  Recently, I decided to make some more.  And take better pictures.

I used the exact same Dorie Greenspan recipe from my original post but made them with half whole wheat pastry flour, which I am happy to report was absolutely indiscernible.  This gives me high hopes for a 100% whole wheat version (still with all the butter and cream cheese though, I'm not that crazy).

This time I made one chocolate version very similar to the one I made last time and one cinnamon sugar version that was pretty much perfection, if I do say so myself.  For the cinnamon sugar version, I used apricot jam, a cinnamon sugar mixture made from 1 T white sugar, 1 T brown sugar and 1 T cinnamon.  I think I also used a few chopped walnuts. 

What really made the cinnamon sugar ones stand out for me, love for cinnamon aside, was the fact that I rolled the dough a bit thinner, which allowed me to make tighter, more professional looking cookies.  I also invested ($3.99, big investment) in a small pastry brush, which I used to apply the egg wash a bit more precisely than my fingers were able to...

I hope you enjoy the better pictures.

No comments: