January 28, 2010

Minimalist's Potato Leek Soup

We were having a relatively mild winter but recently, it's been getting pretty cold and I've been craving soup.  I've never made potato leek soup before but I recently decided that I love leeks (and potatoes aren't too shabby either).  This soup led to a lot of surprises:

1. So easy
2. Way more flavorful than you'd expect with such a short and simple ingredient list
3. Not all potato soup recipes are heavy and creamy (this was a surprise to me, at least)
4. Pretty, pretty, pretty filling

I thought I had chicken broth when I started this recipe but quickly realized the chicken broth I had in the fridge was most likely not ok to consume (i.e. I smelled it...).  I added Greek yogurt (magical of magical ingredients) to give the soup a creamier texture without the heaviness of cheese or, you know, cream.  This is also delicious with a nice hunk of crusty bread and a side of carb coma. Enjoy!

Minimalist's Potato Leek Soup
Ingredients

1 leek, quartered and chopped (only white and pale green parts)
1 teaspoon butter
3 cups potatoes peeled and chopped into 1/2 inch pieces (about 2 large russets)
2 cups water (or broth, if you're fancy)
1/2 cup 2% Greek yogurt
dried thyme
salt
pepper
fresh chives to garnish (optional)

Preparation
Cook the leeks in butter with salt and pepper in a medium sized sauce pan. Cover the pan and cook on low heat until softened. Make sure not to brown leeks as it will cause them to have a burnt taste.

Add water and potatoes.  Bring to a low simmer and cook for about 20 minutes. Scoop about two thirds of the soup mixture (less if you want it chunkier) into a blender or cusinart along with the Greek yogurt and puree.  Return to pan. Add thyme and more salt and pepper to taste.  Garnish with fresh chives.

3 comments:

Pamela said...

I ended up making a beef, barley, leek, and potato soup based on the smittenkitchen version, inspired by this. It was SO GOOD. I've become a bit of a meat fanatic, so the beef part was awesome, but it would be equally good without it (I imagine).

Unknown said...

What if I don't have a blender??

Lynna said...

Hmm, Emily, you could try cooking the potatoes longer and then mashing some of them with a fork (in a separate bowl-- perhaps also mix in the yogurt here) and adding them back in. If you did this you'd probably also want to cut the leeks into much smaller pieces to begin with.

Otherwise, you could always invest in a hand-blender. It's useful (not as many dishes) and I think you can get one for around $20 or $30.