August 16, 2009

Unfussy Guacamole


I didn't start liking avocados until recently- come to think of it, I still don't know how much I actually like avocados; they don't have much flavor and are oddly creamy, but they are, however, a good ingredient. Because of their creaminess, avocados make a wonderful base for spreads and dips, but I've even seen them used in some raw food puddings (still a little too weird for me...).

I don't really have much else to say about avocados or this guacamole because we all know what guacamole is and what to do with it, but I'll leave you with a picture of the gorgeous heirloom tomatoes I used to make it.


Unfussy Guacamole
I like to make guacamole in small batches because the avocado oxidizes quickly and nobody likes brown guacamole. I've also found that lemon rather than lime, for whatever reason, helps slow this oxidation process substantially. I made 1 batch of guacamole with lemon and 1 with lime- the lemon one stayed green, while the lime on browned pretty quickly even with a plastic wrap seal flush with the top.

Ingredients
1 haas avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
1/4 of a large red onion, minced
handful grape or cherry tomatoes, quartered
1/4 yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 jalapeƱo, seeded and minced
juice of half a lime or lemon
sprinkle of cumin (optional)
sprinkle of coriander (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

No comments: