July 1, 2009

Grilled Squash and the Perfect Summer Dinner

Originally, I didn't think I'd feature tonight's dinner on my blog.  It's simple, not that pretty, and not that complex- but oh, it was genius.  Right after I took my first bite (er, first four bites...), I knew that this was most definitely blog-worthy.

I think it might just be the perfect summer dinner as well because it's light, fresh, and satisfying.  Plus, it utilizes the grill (or grill pan in my case).  Furthermore it's got everything you need in a meal- whole grains from the pita, protein from the egg, vegetables from the squash and fat from the cheese... and the egg. 

This was also so fast and easy to throw together you could make it on any week night you're in a time crunch but feel like having something healthy.  Bottom line: it's good, so make it!

The Perfect Summer Dinner
Serves 1 (me!)

Ingredients
1/2 yellow squash, cut into 1/4 inch slices lengthwise
1/2 zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices lengthwise
olive oil
salt
pepper

1 whole wheat pita pocket, halved and toasted
2- 3 tablespoons cheese of choice [personally, I think a sharp cheese works best]
1 egg, over-easy 

Preparation
After the squash has been cut, lightly coat both sides with olive oil, salt and pepper.  Place the slices on a hot grill or grill pan for about 2 minutes (or until distinct grill marks appear).  Flip, and leave on the other side for the same amount of time.  

While the squash is grilling, prepare the pita, egg, and cheese.  Remove squash from the grill and stuff 1/3 into each pita half.  Top the last third with the poached egg.  Finish with more salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy!

No comments: