March 24, 2009

Caramelized Onion, Pear and Goat Cheese Melt

I don't know why the idea for this sandwich came to me, but it seemed like a good one.  It's really simple but sounds kind of gourmet... maybe?  Anyway, I don't have much more to say about this except that it is very tasty and I wish I had a panini maker.   So try it, and utilize your panini maker if you are lucky enough to have one.


Caramelized Onion, Pear and Goat Cheese Melt
Ingredients

1/2 tablespoon butter
1/2 pear, thinly sliced (I used a bartlett)
1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
about 1 oz goat cheese, at room temperature
2 slices of bread (I used whole wheat sourdough)
1/2 teaspoon honey

Preparation
Heat butter in a saute pan, once melted add sliced onions and turn the heat down to medium low.  Cook onions until translucent and slightly caramel in color stirring occasionally; this should take about 10- 15 minutes.  While onions are caramelizing, spread half the goat cheese on each slice of bread.  

Once onions have caramelized place overtop a bread halve and place pear slices on top of the onion.  Drizzle honey on top of pear and cover with remaining slice of bread.

Transfer sandwich to the pan the onions were in and sear each side until it is lightly toasted.  Enjoy.

No comments: