November 27, 2011

Pickled Watermelon Radishes

Radishes are the newest addition to my "Foods I No Longer Dislike" list.  First it was mushrooms, then it was cilantro (though, I'm not totally on board with that yet), and now it's radishes.  These watermelon radishes are some of the most beautiful vegetables I've discovered at the farmer's market by my apartment.  On the outside they look kind of like turnips-- bigger than your average red radish with a suggestion of light green and hint of pink on the outside.  Once you cut them open they're nearly the color of beets and their name makes perfect sense.

While I can enjoy radishes raw and simply sliced, I decided these beauties deserved some special treatment.  If you've never pickled anything before, it's extremely easy (and I'm no expert).  This was only my second time pickling (the first was with red onions), but I may try and make it more of a habit because what's not to like about freshly pickled vegetables?  If you're interested in learning more about health-promoting pickling, one of my friends recommended the book Wild FermentationI certainly intend on pick(l)ing up a copy.


Pickled Watermelon Radishes

Ingredients
1/2 cup hot water
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
3- 4 tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons salt
3-4 watermelon radishes, rinsed and sliced

Preparation
Combine water, vinegar, sugar and salt in a large mason jar, cover with a lid and shake it up until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Alternatively, you can stir them in a non-reactive (glass, ceramic, stainless) bowl. Set aside.

Halve or quarter the radishes and cut into uniform slices.  Pack radishes into your container of choice, cover with the brine and then the lid (I just pack them into the same mason jar the vinegar solution is in so there's virtually no clean-up), and place in the refrigerator.  Let sit at least 3 days before enjoying (although they can be eaten sooner.)

Pickled radishes should last for about a month in the refrigerator and are a great condiment. They can be served as an appetizer, on top of a salad or layered into a sandwich.  

1 comment:

nilanjana majumdar said...

I love those vibrant colors! I want to incorporate more vegetarian dishes into my diet this winter, so I’ll definitely be trying out this one. Thanks!